- Where would you like to build your dream house, and what would it be like?
- What is the worst storm you can remember? What type of house were you in when it hit?
- Why is a strong foundation important when building a house?
The Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders
Ask someone in your group to read Matthew 7:24-27.
- Give the back story:
This is a parable or story Jesus told at the close of one of His most famous sermons, the Sermon on the Mount. Large crowds gathered to listen to Jesus speak, and He didn’t hold back. Jesus issued a radical call out of religion and out of culture. He called people to live with a different set of values and a different heart and mindset. Jesus ended His teaching time with this picture of two builders.
- Ask a few questions:
- What do the 2 builders have in common? (Storms came to each of them. Storms are a part of life. Matthew 5:45b)
- What is different about the 2 builders? (One build His house on a rock. One build his house on the sand.)
- What point is Jesus making about hearing and acting on His words?
Storms don't determine your foundation. They reveal your foundation.
Q: What's the difference between a good foundation and a bad foundation?
- Ask 3 people to read these 3 verses, Matthew 7:24, Matthew 7:21, and James 1:22. Ask others to be listening for characteristics of a life built on a good foundation.
- What does a life built on a good foundation look like?
- Ask someone to read Matthew 7:26. (Jesus defined the bad, sandy foundation: Hearing His words but not letting them become your anchor and guide for life.)
- What are some of the things that lives are built on that promise security, but in the end can't deliver? (Money, Sports, Work, Health, Religion, Friends, Busyness, and Hurry)
- Which of these bad foundations distracts you the most?
- What is this season of Covid-19 revealing about your foundation?
- Needs Renovating
- Brand New
- In the last six weeks, would you say your spiritual foundation has gotten weaker or stronger? What adjustments need to be made?
Results of a Strong Foundation
- Peace: Read Psalm 33:18-20
- Praise: Read Psalm 33:21
- Progress: Read James 1:2-3
How can the group pray for you now and in the week ahead?