Remember the 4 Rules for Small Group Discussion
- Confidentiality. What’s said in the group stays in the group.
- No cross-talk. Be considerate of others as they share. Refrain from side conversations and texting during group time.
- No fixing. We are not in the group to fix each other. Jesus does that part.
- Sharing. Be sensitive to the amount of time you share. Don’t talk too much or too little. Every person brings something valuable to the group.
If you could only take 4 things on a beach vacation with you (and not stop by Dollar General, Alvin’s Island, or other stores once you arrived), what would you take?
We learn 4 important disciplines in Acts 2:42 that help us Be the Church!
Select 2-3 questions to discuss as a group.
- Ask 2 people to read Acts 2:42-47 in different translations while other group members listen for descriptors of the early church.
- What stood out to you about the early church in these verses?
- Talk through the 4 daily devotions the lead us to Be the Church.
Devote yourself to grow.
Acts 2:42- they were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching…
The individuals in the early church were committed to personal spiritual development. They become men and women whose spiritual lives were so strong that they could not just endure persecution, but when they were scattered across Africa, Asia and Europe, they took Jesus with them and spread the fire! They were so devoted on a daily basis to growing in their spiritual lives that hardship only served to validate and release their faith.
- How has your faith either flourished or floundered during this pandemic?
- What steps can you take to daily grow in your spiritual life?
Devote yourself to pray.
Acts 2:42- they were continually devoting themselves…to prayer.
Literally, this read “the prayers.” One of the primary things the early church did was to devote themselves to praying throughout the day. Jewish people observed three set hours for prayer each day; 9am for morning prayers of blessing, 3pm for prayers of confession, and evening prayers.
- Chip mentioned a 3x a day prayer plan called 7-1-7. This is an intentional time of praying a few minutes each day; morning, mid-day and evening. Who is willing to give this a try this week?
- What are some ways that you pray? (Pray scripture, pray worship songs, family prayer at night or around a meal, prayer requests on the Pinelake app, etc.)
Devote yourself to connect.
Acts 2:42- they were continually devoting themselves... to fellowship…
Acts 2:44- and all those who had believed were together…
Acts 2:46- they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart.
Not all 3,000 believers were in a wad, but they all had places/ groups that they belonged. People felt loved, cared for, accepted and connected. They went to the Temple, but they left and went house to house to be together and to do life together. They were highly relational. Our faith is both personal and a team sport.
- Ask someone to read John 13:35. Who is someone that you live near and drive past every day that you can make an effort to know and love?
- Ask someone to read Acts 2:5. Who can you intentionally cultivate a friendship with that doesn’t look or sound like you? How could this make a difference in the world?
Devote yourself to share.
Acts 2:44-45- And all those who had believed…had all things in common; and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need.
As needs arose, the way of life for the early church was to sell and share in order to meet the needs of those in their community. They loved each other tangibly and generously.
- Pinelake will identify a segment or group in our community to bless each month over the next few months. In June we want to bless the medical part of our first responders. Who do you know (individuals or a group of people) that your group can bless this month? What is a tangible way that your group can love that individual or group of people?
Select 2-3 questions from this section to answer.
*Which is the most difficult for you in this season; Grow, Pray, Connect, Share? Why?
*Pray for one another as you step further into being the church.